Which side driving?

What you need to know to drive on U. S. roads?

You are planning on going to the States. Once there, you may need to rent a car. As in Europe, the United States has a highway code. It is therefore better to know certain rules for driving safely on American roads.

Which side of the road should we drive on? What is the speed limit? All these questions are answered in the rest of this article.

Driving safely in the United States:

Before you drive on U. S. roads, you should familiarize yourself with the country's road requirements. First of all, you should know that the way Americans drive is not very different from ours. As in most countries of Europe, you will drive on the right on the roads. These are wider than ours and the road signs are very visible.

You must wear your seatbelt at the front of the vehicle. The belt is strongly recommended at the back. On the other hand, all cars are equipped with automatic gearboxes. You will need to familiarize yourself with the symbols of the box. "P" for parking, "R" for reverse, "N" for neutral and "D" for forward. It is very simple and you will get used to it very quickly.

Driving in a U. S. city:

Some instructions are to know so as not to be controlled by the American police. If this happens to you, immediately pull over to the side and leave your hands where you can see them. There are many roadside checks in the United States. So you have a good chance of getting there. However, to avoid committing an offence, keep these tips in mind.

When a yellow bus is stopped with its flashing lights, you should not overtake it, but stay wisely behind it. It is a school bus unloading its students. To park, check that you are on an authorized parking spot. Beware of the parking lots of hotels in the city centre, which can be very expensive. At a traffic lightless intersection, there are no priority rules. It is the first one coming through.

Do I need an American driver's license to drive on U. S. roads?

Driving regulations in the U. S. impose specific rules on foreign licensing. To find out if you will need an American permit during your stay, please refer to the dedicated article.


Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?