Obtaining a residence permit

You dream of going to the United States for tourism, business or work for more than 90 days. A document is required to set foot on American soil. You will have to contact the American authorities, but you will also have to pay a fee to obtain the much coveted residence permit. Each visa costs a fee determined by the administration and you will not be able to depart from it.

Obtaining a residence permit

To prepare your visa application, you will need to go to the U. S. embassy or consulate in your country. Before you start the process, make sure your passport is valid.

Then, you will need to bring the D-160 printout. The form must be completed online and accompanied by proof of payment of fees. You will also need 2 passport photos, a Chronopost envelope labelled with your name and address. Then you'll have to go to the embassy for an interview.

For job visa applications, you will need to include other supporting documents that will be requested on a case-by-case basis. These may be diplomas or certificates attesting to your qualifications and professional experience.

The price of the residence permit

Depending on the type of visa, the fees are different. Overall, the price of a residence permit varies between $150 and $405. More specifically, if you are going to travel for tourism, business, studies, transit, journalism or exchange programs, it will cost you $160.

For investors and merchants, the price goes up to 270 dollars.

But the most expensive is still the workers' visa, which is around $405. In any case, as the price scale is constantly changing upwards and downwards, it is advisable to ask the embassy directly for the cost of your visa when you are interested.

Different types of visas for different costs

To find out what type of visa you need based on what you want to do in the United States; the easiest way is to read our article on different types of residence permits.

Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?