Special authorization for an artist and athlete travelling to the USA

Special authorization for an artist and athlete travelling to the USA

Given the large number of categories of VISA issued by the USA, it is important to know beforehand what type of VISA is appropriate for its status. This is the case with VISA and VISA P, which correspond to a certain category of people in particular. Special authorization is available if you are an artist or athlete travelling to the United States.

Visa for artists

Having a valid VISA is one of the keys to working and living in the United States. This is the case for people who wish to emigrate across the Atlantic and who have specific skills in specific fields such as arts, science, business, education or sport.

They can apply for the VISA -1A, which is especially dedicated to them. Individuals who possess extraordinary skills in the world of the arts or who have achieved outstanding artistic prowess in the 7th Art have the opportunity to apply for the -1B VISA.

In addition, the VISA -2 is intended for professional assistants who accompany the VISA -1A holder during their stay on US soil. Similarly, the spouse and children under 21 years of age of the VISA -1A holder may be granted VISA -3.

Visa P for Exceptional Athletes and Artists:

VISA P is primarily concerned with athletes and outstanding artists. For the former, they may be awarded on their own or as part of a team that already has an international reputation. The latter have to perform remarkably well within a group that has previously received international recognition for a long period of time.

They may also perform in the United States through various performances that are part of cultural exchanges between the applicant's home country and the United States.

The VISA P-1A is for athletes with an international reputation, the VISA P-1B is intended for members of an internationally renowned entertainment group as well, while the VISA P-2 is particularly suitable for individual artists or members of a group that will perform in the United States as part of a reciprocal exchange program.

Finally, VISA P-3 is open to performers and professionals who will participate in a unique cultural program on American soil.

What are the conditions for obtaining a VISA or VISA P?

Visa -1:

In order to obtain this VISA, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that he or she is among the elite in the field of education, science, business, commerce, or athletics, whether at the national or, better still, international level.

Visa P-1A:

The VISA P-1A is for high-performance athletes who are internationally recognized and want to enter the United States to compete individually or with their team. This means that the individual athlete's skill level must be significantly higher than that normally encountered in the sport.

The international recognition of the high level status of the athlete is also one of the prerequisites for obtaining this VISA. It is issued for a period of 5 years.

However, if the VISA P-1A is issued for a whole team, it will only be valid for 6 months. As with the individual athlete, the team must have a good reputation internationally.

Visa P-1B:

It concerns members of an entertainment group with an international reputation. To obtain this VISA, 3 out of 4 members must have already joined the group in question for at least one year. On the other hand, the skill level of the group as a whole far exceeds that usually encountered. This VISA is issued for the duration of the event, but not exceeding 1 year, with the possibility of extending for periods equivalent to 1 year.

Visa P-2:

VISA P-2 is for performers and other performing arts professionals who are going to perform individually or in a group, and who wish to enter the United States on a temporary basis. This benefit must be part of a reciprocal exchange program between an American entity and an entity in its home country.

In addition, the applicant's qualifications must be at least equivalent to those of the American artists in the program. This VISA is valid for 1 year, with the possibility of extension for periods of one year.

Visa and VISA P, proof of entry to the USA:

For VISA -1, the applicant must prove that he/she has already received an internationally recognised prize or provide one of the following three documents as proof of this:

  • Letters of recommendation or a certificate of competence drawn up by experts in the field concerned.
  • Publication of works or distribution of articles in major media that relate the candidate's achievements.
  • The receipt of nationally or even internationally recognized awards that recognize the excellence of the applicant in a specific field.

For the VISA P-1, it is imperative to present proof of international recognition through a contract signed by a sports team or major league in the United States. It is possible to replace this document with a certificate issued by a sports expert or a member of the sports media which ensures the international recognition of the individual or team. You can also put forward a document that proves your participation in an international competition with your national team, or that attests that you have already competed in a season with a major sports league in the United States.

How do I obtain a special travel authorization as an artist or athlete?

To obtain the VISA and P that opens the doors to the United States' borders, it is necessary to tie up one's file in order to increase one's chances. This consists of a confirmation page on Form DS-160 and the original form I-797, which provides the U. S. Immigration Services approval. Once all these documents have been completed correctly and collected, you can drop them off at the U. S. Embassy's consular offices.

It is also possible to go through an intermediary, namely a VISA professional for that country, to ensure that all the conditions are met to be granted the precious dream.

Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?