What is Visa F1?

Studying in the United States: How to obtain your residence permit?

Would you like to continue your studies in the United States? In order to be able to enter an American university and study full-time, you need a residence permit or a US visa and more precisely, a VISA F1.

What is Visa F1?

The F1 Visa is the most common "American Student Visa". It is issued to any international student wishing to study at an approved U. S. institution for more than 18 hours per week. What are these establishments? This type of visa covers public or private secondary schools (grades 9-12), some institutions offering an English language learning programme, as well as American high schools and universities.

On the other hand, public elementary and primary schools (from kindergarten to grade 8) and institutions offering public and funded training for adults are excluded.

What are the conditions for obtaining a USA student visa?

To maximize your chances of obtaining a U. S. student VISA, you must comply with Section 214 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Since as a visa applicant, you will be considered a potential immigrant, make sure that you meet the following conditions:

  • You must have the necessary supporting documents to prove that you are fit to apply for the category of visa you are applying for.
  • You must provide the consular officer with proof of your strong ties in France and your intention to return once your residence permit has expired.
  • You must prove that you have the financial means to finance your studies and live in the United States for the first 12 months of life.

To do this, you will need the following documents:

  • Any document proving strong family, social and financial ties to your country of origin.
  • Any financial documents (original copies of your bank statements, etc.) that can show that you have the funds needed to finance your studies and subsidize your needs for at least the first year of study.
  • Any document proving your family ties, relationship with any person that financing your studies as well as your bank statements and tax notices.
  • Any documents relating to your current studies and their relationship with the studies you wish to pursue in the United States: transcripts of marks, various certificates, SAT or TOEFL test scores, diplomas, etc.

What are the steps to obtain a Visa F1 and enter an American university?

  1. Enrolment in an American educational institution.
    Start your process by enrolling in a U. S. -based school or university. Once you have registered, the latter will issue you the famous I-20 form, which must be registered in the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) and which will certify your registration.
  2. Filling in the DS-160 form.
    Fill out the online nonimmigrant visa application form: the DS-160, which you will find at this address: Be sure to fill it out with accurate and true information, making sure that you have not entered any errors. Once you validate it, a ten-digit number will be displayed, read it. Then, pay the costs of your application.
  3. Making an appointment for the interview. Once the fees have been paid, make an appointment for an interview at the U. S. Embassy that you will have selected at the very beginning of the DS-160 form. To do this, you will have to indicate: your passport number, the ten-digit barcode number that was displayed when your form was confirmed, the CGI reference number that you will easily find on the receipt for your visa application fee payment.
  4. Interview at the U. S. Embassy.
    You will be interviewed at the U. S. Embassy on the date and time scheduled for your interview, with the following documents: a printed copy of your appointment letter, the DS-160 form confirmation page, receipt of payment of the visa application fee, your passport, with a validity of more than six months exceeding the desired period of stay, form I-20, which was issued to you by the institution to which you registered, the receipt of the SEVIS payment, as well as the I-901 form which will certify that your training expenses have been paid, a photograph of you, taken in the last six months and respecting the following dimensions: 5 cm x 5 cm.

Can the holder of a student VISA work during his/her stay?

The answer is no, in all cases.as, not in the first year of school. Having been required to prove that they are able to support themselves during their first year of study without any assistance, a student staying in the United States under the F1 Visa will not be allowed to work outside the Campus.

If he has the right to do so within the campus, he will also have to prove that the work has been contracted, not out of necessity, but in order to integrate a little more into society.

After the first 12 months, the student holding the F1 Visa must request permission from the I. N. S. to work part-time. To do so, they must complete Form I-765.

Residence permit: F3, for family and children.

If the student with an F1 visa is married and has children, the entire family will be able to obtain an F2 visa under two conditions:

  1. Spouse and children under 21 years of age.
  2. The student has a proof of relationship: marriage and birth certificate in this case.

It should be noted that VISA type F2 does not give its beneficiaries the right to work on US soil.

Residence permit: F3, for Canadian and Mexican nationals only.

In addition to the F1 VISA for students and the F2 VISA for dependents, there is also another type of visa for American students: the F3 VISA.

This certificate is issued to any foreign student residing in their country of origin, but attending or studying at a U. S. school or university. However, this type of visa is only granted to Mexican and Canadian students and nationals.

Note: For tourist stays or for "study" in an establishment offering non-academic activities, such as sports, you do not need an F1 Visa; similarly, if your university studies do not exceed 12 to 18 hours per week.

Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?