Live 1 year in the USA as an intern in a US company

Live 1 year in the USA as an intern in a US company

Planning internships in the United States? Whether you are a student or a young winner, with or without professional experience, VISA J1 is mandatory! If not, here is the list of other VISAS available.

The J1 visa is reserved for young graduates wishing to fly to the United States.

Created in 1961, the Visa J-1 offers all students, recent graduates and young professionals less than 38 years of age the opportunity to stay legally in Uncle Sam's country for a period of 18 months. This is in the context of an internship, whether it is a paid or unpaid internship, but also for a summer job or a first job in the United States.

Required by the U. S. State Department, thanks to this document issued by the U. S. Embassy in Paris, you will be able to:

  • Internships of one to eighteen months in the United States.
  • Get your own Social Security number.
  • Pass and obtain your American driver's license.
  • Travel to and from the U. S. according to your wishes, as long as the visa is still valid.
  • Take advantage of an extra month's stay as a tourist on US soil after the DS-2019 expires.

On the other hand, this type of visa will not allow you to:

  • To change internship or employer.
  • To contract a job in addition to the planned internship.
  • Extend the duration of the internship beyond the limits initially set.
  • To work as an au pair.

The different types of J1 visas to travel to the United States:

Depending on your student status, diplomas and professional experience, you can choose between 4 types of Visa:

J-1 Internal Visa J-1

If you are a student in a higher education institution, whether or not you are a graduate, this type of visa will allow you to do an internship for 2 to 12 months at any time of the year.

The J-1 Trainee Visa

If you are a graduate student, with or without professional experience, this type of visa will give you a right of residence for 2 to 12 months at the time of your choice, if you have obtained your diploma less than one year before applying and you have no work experience.

The internship can last up to 18 months if you have obtained your degree more than one year before applying and you have professional experience.

The Visa J-1 Work & Travel

If you are a simple student with no diploma or professional experience, this type of visa will allow you to do an internship of 2 to 4 months, from June to September, with a salary varying around $7, 25/h or $ 1200/Month.

The J-2 Visa

If you are the spouse or child of a J-1 visa holder, this type of authorization will allow you to travel and study in the United States.

How to get your Visa J1?

If you want to obtain your J-1 Visa, you will need to go through a U. S. government accredited institution (called Sponsor). The steps to obtain this type of document are not only tedious, but also complicated.

Moreover, it is only by going through these "approved sponsors" that you will be able to obtain the DS-2019 form, which is essential for obtaining your visa.

You wish to obtain your J1 visa? Follow these steps:

Check your eligibility

To get started, go online on the site -/, register and check if you are eligible. To do so, you will have to go through the approved sponsor of your choice, who will submit you a form to sign: the DS 7002.

What is the DS 7002? This is a form that you will have to fill out, as well as the company that will welcome you as an intern. Acting as an "internship agreement", it is not only an official document, but also a mandatory document that you and your internship tutor must sign, once you are assured that all the information contained therein is neither missing nor incorrect.

It will include all the details of your internship: start and end date, the mission to be carried out, the number of hours to be worked per week, compensation, etc.

Fill out your DS-2019

The DS-2019 is the essential document to obtain your J-1 visa. Without this form, you will not be able to obtain your residence permit and therefore will not be able to complete your internship in the United States.

It is particularly difficult to obtain, however, but you will need the help of an approved sponsor to get it.

Submit your application to the Embassy

You will receive your DS-2019 within two weeks. When you receive it, you will need to contact the U. S. Embassy to set up your file, drop it off there, but also to make an appointment for your interview.

Meeting at the interview

This is the final step in obtaining a visa. After examining your file, the Embassy will invite you for an interview in English with an American administrative officer. To do this, bring your DS-2019 form, the SEVIS payment receipt or money order reference and your medical coverage.

At the end of the session, you will know if your application has been accepted. If it is accepted, you will receive your passport and visa within about four days.

How much does the Visa J1 cost?

If your eligibility document can only be issued by an accredited agency, you will have to expect that the services offered by the agency will be subject to a fee. Therefore, in order to obtain your visa, you will have to pay the fee for:

  • The services offered by your approved sponsor.
  • The DS-2019 form will be made available.
  • The receipt for registration and payment of the SEVIS fee.
  • Obtaining medical coverage valid three days before and three days after your internship.
  • Additional insurance in case of extended stay as a tourist.
  • Support and follow-up of all the steps, by email.
  • Follow-up and assistance throughout the duration of the internship in the United States.

The rate will vary according to the following three factors:

  • The approved sponsor agency you choose.
  • The type of Visa J-1 you wish to obtain.
  • The duration of your stay.

Procedure at the U. S. Embassy, reduced costs for interns.

  • Visa application at the U. S. Embassy: about $120, to be paid by money order before the interview.
  • Appointment for the interview: about $14.
  • The Chronopost envelope that will be used to send you your visa: about $20.

Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?