Driving in the USA with a European license

You have prepared your trip to the United States. Once there, you may consider renting a car. You should check before you leave for the United States to see if you can drive. Depending on the length of your stay, your European permit may not be enough to allow you to drive on American roads.

To avoid finding yourself on foot once in Uncle Sam's country, here are some good tips to know.

Is a European license enough to drive in the USA?

Certain conditions are required in order to rent a vehicle and drive on American asphalt. In order to be allowed to drive, you must be at least 21 years old and have had your European driving license for at least one year. Without it, you don't even have to hope to touch a steering wheel in the USA.

You will definitely be left in the backseat or forced to take public transport. If you meet both of these conditions, you will be able to sit on the driver's side. But you still need to have the right license. European, international or American, the permit does not give the same rights.

Which driver's license do you need depending on the length of your stay?

If your stay does not exceed 3 months, you can drive with your European driving license. However, you should be aware that American car rental companies are increasingly asking for an international license before renting a vehicle to you. You will have to apply for it in the prefecture before you leave.

After 3 months, you will need a U. S. license. Your international license will no longer be sufficient and you will be in violation if you continue driving with this type of license. As each State has its own specificities for the passing of a driving license, it is advisable to go to the local office of the Department of Motor Vehicles to find out the formalities to be carried out.

How do I get U. S. driving license?

To obtain your U. S. driver's license, we recommend that you read our article on this subject. The formalities and the procedure for the passage of the permit are clearly explained.


 Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?