What are the different types of B visas?

What authorization to travel to the USA?

If you are planning to go to the USA for business or tourism the VISA B may be the right solution. The American type B visa is one of the many types of permits issued by US immigration authorities. It is intended for non-immigrants wishing to travel to the United States.

Its validity can range from 1 to 10 years, depending on the case, and gives the beneficiary a right of residence of 6 months per year, extendable from 6 months, on American soil.

What are the different types of B visas?

There are three types of B visas: B-1, B-2 and B-1/B-2.

The B-1 Visa for business travel.

The B1 Visa is the one you will need to apply for if you want to come to the USA for business reasons. With this type of Visa, you can:

  • Carry out a market study.
  • Invest or finalize investments.
  • Explore, negotiate contracts, represent a company, take orders, etc.
  • Attend conferences, seminars, meetings, exhibitions and conventions.
  • Meet partners if you are employed in a U. S. subsidiary or parent company.

On the other hand, the B-1 Visa won't allow you to:

  • Carry out a professional activity in the States; to do this, you need a H1B work visa.
  • Collect money from an American entity for the duration of the stay.

The B-2 Visa for a tourist trip and a medical stay.

The B-2 Visa is mandatory if you plan to travel or attend an event in the United States. If you are travelling for medical reasons, you will also need to ask if you wish to visit relatives in the country.

With this type of Visa, you can do:

  • Tourism: Visiting monuments, sightseeing, etc.
  • Visit your loved ones and family.
  • Attend cultural events (sports or music) and participate as an amateur.
  • Benefit from medical care.

On the other hand, the B-2 Visa won't allow you to:

  • Carry out a professional activity on American soil.
  • Receive remuneration from a U. S. entity for the duration of the stay.

The B1 and B2 Visa in one!

Note that it is possible to combine B1 and B2 visas into one, depending on the circumstances and the reasons for travel of the person receiving them. This also makes it possible to combine the advantages offered by both documents.

How do I get a Visa B?

Supporting documents:

In accordance with section 214 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, an applicant for a VISA must first prove to the competent authorities that they have no intention of immigrating or settling permanently and illegally in the United States.

With this in mind, when you apply, bring with you any document that can establish a strong attachment to your country of residence: family record book, marriage certificate, birth certificate, title deed, employment contract, etc. In short, anything that may imply that you can't leave your country for long and that it's in your best interest to come back.

Applicants will also need to establish that their profile matches the category of visa applied for.

The application:

The request for a type B VISA, whether for business or tourism, is made via the DS-160 form. Available and to be completed online at the site: the information you provide will be sent directly to the Consular Services of the U. S. Embassy in your city.

It is therefore recommended that you fill out this form with the greatest care. Basis of the mandatory interview which will follow your request, the slightest mistake or the smallest omission which is there can be decisive in the acceptance or not of your request.

The photo:

In addition to the form, you will also be asked to upload a photo. If you encounter any problems downloading it, please note that you can skip this step. However, you will need to bring this photo with you on the day of your interview, and on that day, make sure it meets the required standards. If not, it will be refused.

The interview:

Once you have completed and submitted your form, you will need to make an appointment for your interview. You can do so online, on the website - or by calling the following number: 08 10 26 46 26.

On D-Day, you'll need to bring a complete file with you, including:

  • Your family record book.
  • Your employment contract.
  • Your retirement certificate (if you are retired).

But also:

  • Your valid passport.
  • A post envelope on the back of which your address is written.
  • A printout of the page confirming that your form has been sent.
  • Proof of payment of the visa application fee.

How much does your US travel authorization cost?

The fee for a B1, B2 and B1/B2 Visa is 120 euros, to be paid on the day of the request.

Other articles related to the same subject:

First Time ESTA VISA / ESTA USA Applicant?

Update your Travel Authorization?